Monday, January 11, 2010

Got Gratitude?!

As I kind of revisit the Resolution's post, I apologize in advance for a more personal, pensive and lengthy post than ones done in the past.


Growing up, my wise Father counseled that we pick three goals (like in the video Brand New Year put out by the church): one personal, spiritual and educational. As I no longer go to school or teach (therefore making my educational goal more difficult), I have been contemplating my goals for the year to really iron them out and decide what I need to focus on this year. Though this year my goals all kind of overlap, I thought that I would share one of them. A gratitude journal.
Now I have heard of these before and honestly, they kind of sounded cheesy. However, I felt prompted to share my thoughts with you about why I have chosen this goal. 1st however, let's refer back to the steps I need to take to make sure this goal has the best chance of success.

Step 1 & 2: Write in a gratitude journal each day
Step 3: I will set aside a specific lined notebook journal to write in. I will write 2 things I am grateful for that day (trying to make them different from past entries). I may add pictures, drawings, notes, scripture verses, quotes or other items that represent what I am thankful for.
Step 4: It will sit on my bedside table to write in every night. This way when I wake up I will be reminded to look for the good in the day and at night to write it down.

Now that my Steps are written let's talk about what a gratitude journal really is: It is a place to focus on all the blessings that Heavenly Father has given each of us. Being a human being can be really tough- sickness, rude people, busy schedules, difficult trials, change, etc. Life can be very challenging. However, Proverbs 3:5 says, "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding." This journal is a personal record of "Tender Mercies" in your life. Remember do what every works for you- on the computer, a scrapbook, a journal, etc.
Spencer W. Kimball says, "At the Grand Council we also learned the purpose for our progression: to have a fulness of joy. However, we also learned that some would be deceived, choose other paths, and lose their way. We learned that all of us would have trials in our lives: sickness, disappointment, pain, sorrow, and death. But we understood that these would be given to us for our experience and our good (see D&C 122:7). If we allowed them to, these trials would purify us rather than defeat us. They would teach us to have endurance, patience, and charity (see Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Spencer W. Kimball [2006], 15–16).
Trials are hard, but learning from them and getting through them to become the stronger person that Heavenly Father wants us to become is the key. For me writing down what I have learned and the good things in my life will help me on tough days. I will be able to look back and see how far I have come and what Heavenly Father has helped me accomplish. I hope that you too can "See above the trees" and let Heavenly father help you have a bigger perspective than the here and now.

Good luck with your goals this year and remember to have quarterly or more frequently "check backs" to help you keep on track! Congratulations on making your first step to becoming a better YOU!