Friday, April 2, 2010

Holy Week Day 6

Today was Jesus' trial and crucifixion

Where the story is found: Matt 27:1-61; Mark 15:1-47; Luke 22:66 through 23:56; John 18:28 though 19:42

Prophecies fulfilled:

1: "He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth." (Isaiah 53:7)

2. "I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting." (Isaiah 50:6)

3: "For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet." (Psalms 22:16)

4: "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?" (Psalms 22:1)

5: "He keepeth all his bones: not one of them is broken." (Psalms 34:20)

Discussion:

Compare and Contrast the events after the crucifixion in the "Old" and "New" world. (See Matt 27-28 & 3 Ne 8-12)

ANSWER for Day 5's Discussion:

1.Washing the feet was normally done by the host or a servant that the host had. Since no one did this, Jesus humbled himself and did it. Showing them that "the greatest must become the least." Jesus was giving them a visual representation of His love. He even washed the feet of the man that was about to betray Him.

2. Answers will vary- personal.

3. The feast of the Passover was instituted to help the children of Israel remember when the destroying angel passed over their houses and delivered them from the Egyptians. The unblemished lambs, whose blood was used as a sign to save Israel anciently, are a symbol of Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God, whose sacrifice redeemed all mankind. A modern reminder is the sacrament to help us remember our baptismal covenants.

Apostolic thought/song:

CHALLENGE: Watch at least one session on Saturday and Sunday of conference